PDA

View Full Version : Should I do a matte or glossy finish on travertine in small bath shower?

4dreambath
12-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Also on the floors (that will be a diamond pattern.) We're doing a cherrywood vanity with pewter fixtures. Thanks for any suggestions!

Mason
06-09-2012, 04:27 AM
If it was me, I would use a matte finish. The reason I say this is because travertine is naturally matte. If you like the look and feel of travertine, then definitely go with the matte finish.

Britni
06-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Personally, I prefer a high-gloss finish, but that's just MY preference. Aesthetically speaking, it's simply a matter of which look you like better. To me, high-gloss finishes have a cleaner, more elegant look than the matte finishes.

Jenna
06-11-2012, 02:52 AM
We are looking to have a similar arrangement done in our newest bathroom. I really like the high-gloss finish. I think that when it comes to matte or a high-gloss finish, it is based one your own preference. Some like one, while others like the opposite.

Chris
06-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Hey guys,

Just a quick FYI. When it comes to Travertine tiles the proper terminology to use for finishes are:

- Tumbled (= non filled)
- Honed & Filled
- Chiseled
- Brushed
- Bush Hammered
- Polished

There is no Matte or Glossy. Hope this helps.

Britni
06-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Chris - Since "matte" and "glossy" are not the proper terms, what would be the equivalent of each? I'm guessing "polished" is the equivalent of glossy and maybe "brushed" is the equivalent of matte? Is that correct, or no?

GreenFrame
06-17-2012, 02:37 PM
For my home, I like honed and filled finishes. The travertine still has straight edges and is even, but does not have the glossy appearance of polished travertine. Don't get me wrong; polished travertine looks very nice. It's just not something I want to live with.